Posts tagged UK
4 months ago
“Governments must not use cybersecurity as an excuse for censorship or to deny people their opportunities that the internet represents”.
So said David Cameron in 2011, criticising internet censorship and monitoring carried out by other countries around the world.
In 2013, this is the same man who wants to see internet filters installed in homes across the country and whose government collects huge quantities of data from the transatlantic cables that form the internet’s backbone.
The argument trotted out by supporters is that Western spying programmes prevent terrorist attacks. They probably do, but have also been used in ways that chill the freedom of speech. Case in point: the NSA appear to have gathered phone metadata on New Zealand journalist Jon Stephenson on behalf of the New Zealand government, in order to help identify his sources.
2 years ago
The Raspberry Pi Foundation is a UK registered charity (Registration Number 1129409) which exists to promote the study of computer science and related topics, especially at school level, and to put the fun back into learning computing.
We plan to develop, manufacture and distribute an ultra-low-cost computer, for use in teaching computer programming to children. We expect this computer to have many other applications both in the developed and the developing world.
Our first product is about the size of a credit card, and is designed to plug into a TV or be combined with a touch screen for a low cost tablet. The expected price is $25 for a fully-configured system.
- 700MHz ARM11
- 128MB or 256MB of SDRAM
- OpenGL ES 2.0
- 1080p30 H.264 high-profile decode
- Composite and HDMI video output
- USB 2.0
- SD/MMC/SDIO memory card slot
- General-purpose I/O
- Optional integrated 2-port USB hub and 10/100 Ethernet controller
- Open software (Ubuntu, Iceweasel, KOffice, Python)
Google announced today that it will be pulling all music videos off their UK YouTube site as they can’t afford to pay PRS…or something to that effect. More details on Webware. YouTube unplugs music videos in U.K. | Webware – CNET.
- just got my ATMega328 arduino upgrade from @adafruit #
- RT @make: Mobius music strip plays on … and on http://tinyurl.com/d6tsqs #
- RT @LisaSabinWilson: Free WordPress For Dummies books and WP Themes at the ServerBeach Exhibit Booth – SXSW http://tinyurl.com/cl7lw5 #
- Jon Stewart: Forget Twitter, Try Grunter: http://tinyurl.com/dlev6d (via @om) << brilliant! #
- RT @trentadams: 4 Handed Guitar http://ff.im/-1jPab << freakin amazing! #
- …and just when it looked like the weather in London was getting warmer, weather forecasters predict another cold snap and more snow #
- three children wrongfully removed but UK law prevents them being returned to family http://url.ie/174s what is the world coming to? #
- RT @manutd_updates: Hansen backs Giggs for PFA award http://litturl.com/xme -> about time he won it! #
- it’s amazing how many ‘buy a degree’ spam emails are going around these days #
- is it still called debugging if you’re trying to debug a bug that actually isn’t there? #
Appeal court judges say removal of three children may have been wrong but law prevents them being returned to family
- …and it’s snowing again! #
- @stephenfry good luck getting anywhere if you’re in London. I just went to the tube station and the whole network is practically suspended! in reply to stephenfry #
- and now I know what it feels like to be snowed in…well not literally snowed in. I can get out but I can’t go anywhere! I’m lovin’ it! #
- http://twitpic.com/1amfi – #uksnow the view from my room window #
- #uksnow the drama continues…heathrow airport has been closed #
- #uksnow looks like my college is closed as well. no news from anyone yet… #
- #uksnow my college officially closed!€ #
- ok I can’t think of anything else. server is still slow, no conn problem, more than enough ram on server. i’m just gonna disable all plugins #
- now my server has crashed. great! #
- a geeks christmas wish list http://tinyurl.com/56xx2e (that would be me!) via @timoreilly #
- @hummingbird604 if you’re looking for housing in London…good luck in reply to hummingbird604 #
- couldn’t figure out what’s wrong with the server so I decided to reformat the hard disk. trying to reconfigure it now #
- reconfigured the server and it’s still fucking slow! #